IS BOSTON TOASTMASTERS RIGHT FOR YOU?
There are many Toastmasters chapters
in and around Boston.
How do you know if BTM is right for you?
- You are able to attend meetings on Tuesdays at 6 pm in Copley Square at least once a month for 12-18 months.
- You can set aside roughly 2-3 hours each week to study and write speeches.
- You are willing to deliver your first speech within 6 weeks of joining.
- You are interested in a larger audience (~40-45 people) than other TM clubs.
- You are willing to be more proactive about booking your speeches than you might be in other TM clubs.
- You are interested in working with Toastmasters materials.
If the answer to any of those questions was "no," don't worry! There is a Toastmasters club for you! Use the Find-a-Club tool on Toastmasters.org to locate the chapter that fits best. Don't forget to visit them!
Answered "Yes" to the Questions?
It sounds like you may have found a Toastmasters club!
There are 3 steps to becoming a Boston Toastmaster
SCHEDULE A VISIT
Boston Toastmasters requires potential members to have attended at least one meeting as a guest before joining. There is no fee or RSVP needed to attend as a guest, so come see us if you haven’t!
Already Visited? Then continue here!
COMPLETE AN APPLICATION:
When you visit, you can pick up an application from us after the meeting. If you prefer to type your application, you can pre-fill it, print it, and bring it to save time during your visit.
Go to Application
The following slides cover terms and conditions that you agree to when you submit an application. Please read them carefully and ask our VP of Membership if you would like clarification.
A Toastmaster's Promise
As a member of Toastmasters International and my club, I promise...
- to prepare all of my speech and leadership projects to the best of my ability, basing them on projects in the Toastmasters Educational Program;
- to prepare for and fulfill meeting assignments;
- to provide fellow members with helpful, constructive evaluations;
- to help the club maintain the positive, friendly environment necessary for all members to learn and grow;
- to serve my club as an officer when called upon to do so;
- to treat my fellow club members and our guests with respect and courtesy;
- to bring guests to club meetings so they can see the benefits Toastmasters membership offers;
- to adhere to the guidelines and rules for all Toastmasters educational and recognition programs;
- To maintain honest and highly ethical standards during the conduct of all Toastmasters activities.
In addition to the Toastmasters Promise, Boston Toastmasters enforces the following member expectations:
- Attend an orientation within 2 weeks of joining.
- When speaking or leading meetings, arrive by 5:45.
- Speakers or Participants who do not check in by 6 pm forfeit their spot.
- Work in good faith from the Toastmasters Educational Program (use the materials and receive evaluations)
- Attend meetings when not speaking to support fellow members and learn by observing. We expect members to attend at least once a month on average.
- Refrain from last-minute speech cancellations.
- Bring your materials (manual or the appropriate evaluation resource) in order to speak.
Member’s Agreement and Release 1 of 3:
A Toastmaster’s Promise
Consistent with my desire to take personal responsibility for my conduct, individually and as a member of a Toastmasters club, I agree to abide by the principles contained in “A Toastmaster’s Promise” and the governing documents and policies of Toastmasters International and my club. I will refrain from any form of discrimination, harassment, derogatory, illegal, or unethical conduct, and I understand that if I engage in such conduct, I agree to reimburse Toastmasters International my club or other clubs, or other individuals involved with Toastmasters, for any damages, losses, or costs resulting from my conduct. Understanding that Toastmasters programs are conducted by volunteers who cannot be effectively screened or supervised by Toastmasters International or its clubs, I release and discharge Toastmasters International, its clubs, governing bodies, officers, employees, agents, and representatives from any liability for the intentional or negligent acts or omissions of any member or officer of my club or other clubs, or any officer of Toastmasters International.
Member’s Agreement and Release 2 of 3:
By submitting this application, I agree to the collection, use and processing of the personal information I provide to Toastmasters in this Membership Application for the purposes of organization administration, payment of my dues, and inclusion of my contact information in a members’ directory that will be distributed to members and employees of Toastmasters. By submitting my personal information to Toastmasters, I also agree that my information may be accessed and used by Toastmasters and its employees and agents. I agree to notify [email protected] of any change to my personal information, including making any requests to check, delete or correct my personal information, so that it is accurate and current. I understand that the majority of the data requested in this application is necessary for administrative and planning purposes, and that the failure to provide this information may prevent my application from being properly processed or inclusion of my contact information in the members’ directory.
Member’s Agreement and Release 3 of 3:
By continuing, I agree to the terms of “A Toastmaster’s Promise,” and the “Member’s Agreement and Release” statement above, and certify that I am 18 years of age or older, in compliance with the Toastmasters International Club Constitution.
PAY FOR YOUR MEMBERSHIP:
For your protection, we do not accept cash payments for memberships.
Once an application is processed, dues are not refundable.
(However, we would be happy to help you transfer your membership to any of thousands of Toastmasters clubs worldwide.)
Memberships officially begin on the first of the month. Choose the current month to begin working the day your application is processed. Choose next month to save some money. Your access will not begin before the 1st of the month.
We offer two places to pay your dues
|| Pay in-Person at a meeting: Debit/Credit / Check / Money Order
|| Pay Online with Paypal:
Click the Paypal link that you'd like to use:
AM I A MEMBER NOW?
Once you have:
- attended a meeting and reserved an orientation appointment,
- submitted a complete, signed application, and
- submitted your dues.
and once Boston Toastmasters has:
- Processed your application with Toastmasters International
- Remitted your dues to Toastmasters International
...then—congratulations—you are our newest member!
Our VP of Membership and Treasurer will receive your payment and application. They will confirm details on them and register you with both Boston Toastmasters and Toastmasters International.
Once the registration is complete, you will receive 3 welcome emails:
- from Toastmasters International, inviting you to log into Toastmasters.org to choose your learning content
- from the Boston TM VP of Membership, welcoming you to our club
- from Holly, the system robot at Easy-Speak, with your Easy-Speak login information.
As a Toastmaster, you will have access to two websites to help you: Toastmasters.org and our club's members-only portal at Easy-Speak. Toastmasters.org is where you will receive your educational content. Easy-Speak is where you will RSVP to meetings and sign up to participate.
At your orientation, we will show you basics for how to use these sites and help with sign-in issues so you are ready to go. We will reserve your first speech at the club, answer your questions and help match you with a mentor.
We are excited to meet you!