Looking to improve your speaking and leadership skills?
Ignite your career?
Win that job interview?
You’ve come to the right place. Since 1924, more than 4 million people around the world have become more confident speakers and leaders because of their participation in Toastmasters.
Toastmasters International is a world leader in communication and leadership development. Today, our membership is 270,000 strong. These members improve their speaking and leadership skills by attending one of the 13,000 clubs in 116 countries that make up our global network of meeting locations.
Membership in Toastmasters in one of the greatest investments you can make in yourself. At $75 every six months, it is also one of the most cost-effective skill-building tools available anywhere.
Don’t take our word for it: read this letter from a Boston Toastmasters member, written shortly after giving his first speech at Boston Toastmasters.
How Does It Work?
- A Toastmasters meeting is a learn-by-doing workshop in which participants hone their speaking and leadership skills in a no-pressure atmosphere. Members learn and practice skills within 5 core competencies: Public Speaking, Interpersonal Communication, Strategic Leadership, Management; and Confidence, which Toastmasters is designed to build over time. A typical group has 20 to 40 members who meet weekly, biweekly or monthly. A typical meeting lasts 60–90 minutes.
- Boston Toastmasters is a Toastmasters club, but we are a little different. We meet weekly and claim 80-100 members each year. Generally 30-50 people attend a given meeting, and our meetings tend to run around 2 hours, but we are flexible with members who need to leave earlier. In a given Boston Toastmasters meeting, you typically hear around five speeches (though sometimes as many as eight) on a wide variety of topics. Our membership is varied and it shows in our speeches. From financial planning, to swimming with sharks, to a classic bedtime story, retold–you never know what you’ll hear at a meeting!
- There is no instructor in a Toastmasters meeting. Toastmasters is not a “class” or a “course”. Instead, members evaluate one another’s presentations. This feedback process is a key part of the program’s success. Meeting participants also give impromptu talks on assigned topics, conduct meetings and develop skills related to timekeeping, grammar and parliamentary procedure.
- Members learn communication skills by working in one of an ever-expanding list of Learning Paths. Each path blends leadership and communication skills through pre-designated and elective projects.
Why should I join?
The Toastmasters program offers many benefits that help people in all walks of life. As a result of participating in Toastmasters, you will:
- Increase your self-confidence
- Become a better speaker
- Become a better leader
- Communicate more effectively
- Make new friends and build your professional network
Membership is affordable – a great value that can change your life that costs less than a dollar a day.
- Your initial investment: less than $200. This includes 7-12 months of membership dues, a subscription to the Toastmaster magazine, and your choice of learning path, accessed through Toastmasters’ learning portal on all of your devices, no matter where you are. Work at your own pace and explore our newly-redesigned curricula with titles like Dynamic Leadership, Visionary Communication, and Innovative Planning.
- $75 Dues for six month membership renewal. You must be a member of the club to select this option.